Our privacy commitment
We respect your rights to privacy under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Act) and we comply with all of the Act’s requirements in respect of the collection, management and disclosure of your personal information.
Personal Information Collected
SpoOCTacular will only collect personal information from you with your consent. Personal information means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identified:
- Whether the information or opinion is true or not
- Whether the information or opinion is recorded in material for or not
Examples of Personal Information we collect include:
- Full name
- Email address
- Phone and facsimile numbers
- Date of birth
- Credit/debit information
- Any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our websites or indirectly through use of our websites or online presence, through our representatives or otherwise; and
- Information you provide to us through customer surveys or online contacts.
This information may be obtained in many ways including by telephone, by email, via our website www.spooctacular.com.au, from media and publications, from any other publicly available sources and from website cookies.
We collect your Personal Information for the primary purpose of providing our services to you, providing information to our customers and marketing related to the SpoOCTacular event. We may also use your Personal Information for secondary purposes closely related to the primary purpose, in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure. You may unsubscribe from our mailing/marketing lists at any time by contacting us in writing.
When we collect Personal Information we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it.
How and Why We Collect Information
Where possible, we will collect your personal information directly from you. This can be via, but is not limited to, online registrations, online donations, email correspondence, social media, face-to-face meetings or over the phone discussions.
Your personal information may be collected, held, used and disclosed by us to:
- Verify your identity
- If you are registering, enable you to open and use your account
- If are registering, enable your profile to be visible on the SpoOCTacular website
- Enable you to be a Participant or Donor
- Enable the delivery of SpoOCTacular merchandise or registration kit
- Enable you to have control over your personal profile and use the spoOCTacular website, including uploading and sharing your content
- Administer and manage SpoOCTacular and the SpoOCtacular Website
- Communicate our Payment System
- Provide you with information about future SpoOCTacular events and initiatives which may be of interest to you
- Optimise and customise the user experience (including content and advertising) for users of the SpoOCTacular website
- Communicate with you, including (but not limited to) emailing you tax donation or registration receipts; and
- Otherwise manage and operate our business and comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
We may also collect personal information from publicly available sources and from our contractors and business / charitable partners.
If we collect personal information about you from a further third party and it is unclear that you have consented to the disclosure of your personal information to us, we will take reasonable steps to contact you and ensure that you are aware of the circumstances surrounding the collection and purposes for which we collected your personal information.
Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record or health information.
Sensitive information will be used by us only:
- For the primary purpose for which it was obtained
- For a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose
- With your consent; or where required or authorised by law.
With your consent or where otherwise permitted by law, we may send you certain communications from SpoOCTacular in relation to marketing, news about SpoOCTacular events, news about our chosen charities, or other information available from time to time.
May you have any issue regarding these communications, you can opt-out by unsubscribing to our mailing lists at any time.
Security and storage of your personal information
SpoOctacular will endeavour to take all reasonable steps to keep personal information accurate and up to date. We ensure this information is securely stored to protect it from loss, misuse or unauthorised access, disclosure or modification. Information is destroyed or permanently de-identified when it is no longer required for any purpose for which it was collected.
We will only use and disclose personal information with your consent, unless such uses are permitted by law, including without limitation those prescribed by the Australian Privacy Principles: https://www.oaic.gov.au/privacy-law/privacyact/australian-privacy-principles.
We will destroy or de-identify personal information once it is no longer needed for a valid purpose or required to be kept by law.
Age of Consent
Due to Australian Legislation, all children aged under 16 must be registered and paid for by a parent or legal guardian to comply with these regulations. Each child must be individually registered and will be set up with their own fundraising account which can be managed through the guardian’s email address.
We may send cookies, or small pieces of information, to your web browser to collect information on your browsing session. Our cookies do not collect personal information, but may be used for:
- Recording preferences that you specify on our websites
- Providing general visitor and customer analytics for internal reference
- Conducting research to improve our content, products and online services
- Assisting with direct marketing, should you opt-in for this service; or
- Supporting security measures, such as requiring you to re-login to a site after your account has been inactive for a period of time.
If you do not wish to receive cookies you may disable these in your web browser, however, please note that doing so may affect our sites’ ability to function properly. See the ‘Help section of your web browser for more information on changing your cookie preferences.
Changes to your personal information
Management of personal information in your Account and Your Content is governed by you. You are responsible for changing these as required by you from time to time.
We require your assistance to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose and which you use and disclose to us is accurate, complete and up to date. We ask that you:
- Let us know if there are any errors in your personal information which we have collected; and
- Keep us up to date with changes to your personal information which we have collected such as your name or e-mail address.
If you have any questions or difficulty in doing this, please contact us for help by emailing [email protected].
If you have any queries about our privacy practices or would like to make a complaint, then please contact us using the details above. We take all complaints seriously and will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period. If we do not resolve a complaint to your satisfaction, then you may take your complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.